- 2 Tbsp refined coconut oil, melted
- 4 cups coarsely chopped fresh cauliflower
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 scallions
- 12 oz ground lamb or ground pork
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 cherry or grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tsp Mediterranean Seasoning (see recipe below)
- ¾ cup firmly packed fresh cilantro
- ½ cup firmly packed fresh parsley
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh mint
- ⅓ cup pine nuts, toasted
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp preservative-free granulated garlic
- 1 tsp dried lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush the bottoms and sides of twelve 2½-inch muffin cups with coconut oil. Set aside. Place cauliflower in a food processor. Cover and pulse until cauliflower is finely chopped but not pureed. Fill a large skillet with water to a depth of 1 inch; bring to boiling. Set a steamer basket in skillet over water. Add cauliflower to steamer basket. Cover and steam for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Remove steamer basket with cauliflower from skillet and set over a large plate. Let cauliflower cool slightly.
- In a large bowl lightly beat eggs with a whisk. Stir in cooled cauliflower, almond meal, and pepper. Spoon cauliflower mixture evenly into prepared muffin cups. Using your fingers and the back of a spoon, press cauliflower onto bottoms and up the sides of the cups.
- Bake cauliflower cups for 10 to 15 minutes or until cauliflower cups are lightly browned and centers are set. Place on wire rack but do not remove from the pan.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice scallions, keeping white bottoms separate from the green tops. In a large skillet cook lamb, the sliced white bottoms of the scallions, and the garlic over medium-high heat until meat is cooked through, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Drain off fat. Add green parts of scallions, tomatoes, and Mediterranean Seasoning. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Spoon lamb mixture evenly into cauliflower cups.
- For herb pesto, in a food processor combine cilantro, parsley, mint, and pine nuts. Cover and process until mixture is finely chopped. With the processor running, slowly add oil through the feed tube until mixture is well combined.
- Run a thin sharp knife around the edges of the cauliflower cups. Carefully remove the cups from the pan and set on a serving platter. Spoon herb pesto over cauliflower cups.
- In a dry small skillet toast fennel seeds over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until fragrant, shaking skillet occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool about 2 minutes. Transfer seeds to a spice grinder; grind to a powder. Add rosemary; grind until rosemary is coarsely ground. Transfer fennel and rosemary to a small bowl. Stir in oregano, thyme, garlic, and lemon peel. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 6 months. Stir or shake before using.
Contact Brian Brijbag